We're back with an exciting piece on none other than the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge this week which we're sure your newsfeed is "flooded" with everday! Most of you must have seen your friends dumping a bucket full of icy cold water over their heads and uploading the entire scene on their social networking profiles , looks like fun (brrrr...!! ) but what is ALS and why has it gone viral?
ALS Association is a US based non profit organization that raises money on research , patient services and creating awareness about the motor neuron disease amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) also known as the Lou Gehrig's disease.Due to the fun concept and the celebrity heft, the ice bucket phenomenon has gone viral over the social networking websites in the past two months with more than 2.5 million videos being uploaded and more than USD 22.9 million donated to the ALS Association!
In case you have missed it (we doubt it! ) but this is how it works.
Here's why we think you should take up the challenge!
1) Charity begins at home: By nominating other people to take up the challenge you are actually inviting people to join hands for a noble cause. You can even take up the challenge and donate to the cause of your own choice like some charity trust in Pakistan instead of the ALS Association because the idea behind the concept is "Giving what we can" for a greater cause!
2) Its FUN! : When was the last time you had the chance to play around with a little water? (We thought so! ) This activity gives you a 5 minute break from your hectic routines and gives you the opportunity to have some fun with your friends and family.
3) Everyone can join in! :This activity can be taken up by anyone , at any place and any time There are no particular rules or pre-requisites for the challenge other than a gung ho attitude! Billionaires like Mark Zukerberg and Bill Gates and celebrities like Zac Efron and Ashton Kutcher have all taken up the challenge.
4) No additional material required: All that is required for the task is some ice , water and a bucket which are easily available at home so you don't have to spend a dime on anything.
5) Its Summer! : Nothing beats the heat like a good old bucket of cold water! And with the load shedding getting out of control ,we are sure you will find this the best way to donate .
That was all from our side , do keep us posted on what you think and we would love to see you do the challenge! Have fun!